Old 17-02-2005, 02:15 AM
Roy

Yea Doc Johnsons approach is much the same as this group in a lot of
things,..........and of all folks to screw up royally and OD their
high dollar koi on PP ....he reallay needs to stick to salt and leave
opther chemicals to those that know a little more about them than he
evidently does..But its on the internet so it must be true.....but he
is an author of a few books, so he must know what he is
doing..........I personally wold trust Dr. Solo before Johnson.
Nothing is on his site that is not on many university fish biology
sites in different wording.......and they are an organization I would
put my faith in in stead of an internet fish doctor out to make a buck
and still screw up like he does..............

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:05:44 -0500, "RichToyBox"
wrote:

===Roy,
===
===Read this link on Doc Johnson's web site,
===http://www.koivet.com/html/articles/... rch_term=salt
===where he discusses salt. I think that before any treatments are performed,
===a microscopic examination needs to be performed to best know what treatment
===should be used. Many of the treatments are expensive, especially when
===treating a whole pond.
===
===My arsenal for treatments includes salt, anchors away (for anchor worm and
===fish lice), and supa-verm (for flukes). I occasionally use PP, mainly to
===clean the water of organics. PP and formalin are both neutralized by
===organics in the pond, so it is difficult to know whether you have used the
===correct dosage. Formalin also requires a 50% water change, which is time
===consuming. Doc Johnson, and others have published symptoms that will help
===identify the problem, and help in determining which remedy is best, with
===salt always being first.
===
===Of course one of the best means of controlling parasites is to maintain
===pristine water. The fish have lived with parasites since the beginning of
===time and as long as they are not stressed by poor water quality, they should
===be able to live with a moderate number in the pond. The thing with
===parasites is that they seem to know when a fish is stressed, attack it
===harder, possibly killing it, and multiplying out of control, so that they
===can overtake the other fish in the pond.

REMEMBER: "This is worth repeating for benefit of al newbies!
Jo Ann asked Dr. Solo to remind people that while she has retired from selling GF (and sold
the business to Ken Fischer http://dandyorandas.com/) she has NOT retired from
helping people with sick GF and koi FOR FREE. 251-649-4790 phoning is best for
diagnosis. but, can try email put "help sick fish" in subject. Get your fish at Dandy Orandas
Dandy Orandas Dandy Orandas........you guys got that DANDY ORANDAS