Old 17-02-2005, 11:00 AM
Pat Kiewicz

said:

I would need to see a more close up picture to be sure, but the
girdling could be caused by cicadas or tree hoppers. They both cause
damage when they lay eggs under the bark. Since the damage is on
several different species of trees, I would say it is probably not
caused by a pathogen. I know Ohio was one of the states affected
heavily by the periodical cicadas last year, maybe try googleing and
find some pictures to compare yours with.

That's what came to mind when I looked at the pictures: cicadas.

(The damage looks very similar to the damage I get on raspberry canes
when tree crickets lay eggs in them.)

(attributed to Don Marti)