Old 17-02-2005, 01:30 PM
Jim Lesurf

My first posting in this group. :-)

In article , suspicious minds
wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message

Gives a pulse of ultrasonic wave at a frequency range of 18k.hertz to
24 k.hertz, the lower part of the spectrum 'just' being audible.

18 - 24 kHz doesn't really strike me as 'ultrasonic' as I'd suspect that
many people can hear a fair part of that range. (Although not me anymore.
My hearing is now cut off by about 14 kHz.)

One neighbour had one; just audible like tinnitus. However never seemed
to bother another neighbours cats near the source. May be just
coincidence but something has struck a cord (sorry), since the noise
has stopped I have noticed a much bigger variety of birds in garden.

So what *is* the best way to get rid of cats?

I'm fairly new to gardening. Only taken it up with any real level of
acitivity since I took early retirement last May. Enjoying it so far
despite having little real clue what I'm doing. :-)

However two doors down the road we have a 'cat lady'. She has an
ever-changing population of semi-stray cats. Typically around a dozen to
20. The main victims of this are the neighbours in between her and us. But
we also get frequent 'presents' left in the garden. And as I guess you
would expect, as I dig and clear areas and plant things, they *love* the
nice soft ground...

In an area around a small apple tree in the back garden I tried covering
the ground with cocoa mulch. I like the look and smell of this, and it did
seem to put the cats off that area. More recently I worked on a flowbed at
the front of the house, and here the cocoa mulch seemed to stop the
'presents' for a few weeks, but they resumed in the last couple of days. Is
this, as I suspect, as the smell has gone? The layer of mulch I used at the
front is much shallower than around the tree if that makes a significant
difference(?)

If the 'ultrasound' doesn't work, what does? I don't want to have to stand
outside with a machine-gun. Nor do I want to have a dog. Our local garden
center has a pot that you buy some sort of crystals to put in. The smell
allegedly makes the cats go away. Does this sort of thing work? If not,
what?...

BTW does the snake oil also improve the sound of audio systems if you smear
it on the cables?... :-)

Slainte,

Jim

Armstrong Audio http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/Audio/armstrong.html