Old 17-02-2005, 05:49 PM
Richard Brooks

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "Miss Perspicacia Tick" contains these words:

Which brings me to another point, I may possibly be the youngest
posting here -

How old are you? Several posters here are in their second
childhood.

not that it bothers me, why should gardening - and the appreciation
for the natural world that accompanies it - be the preserve of the
more mature?

Nobody said it should. However, many offspring go through a stage
where they feel obliged to ignore/escape their parents influence,
opinions and tastes in every possible way, including gardening.IME,
enthusiasm for gardening usually lies dormant until the younger
generation is old enough to have left home and find their own small
patch of bare earth to potter in.

Janet.

I'm hopeful to think that there is a generation of women who have their own
garden/potting shed, an old comfy chair, radio and wine cooler to retire to.

Schools surely still get children involved with growing mustard and cress at
least, or working on a wildlife garden in the grounds ? This might be
partly why some younger people get involved later as I've found that younger
relatives are a kind of toleration for the elderly, the youngster asking all
kinds of questions when all is wanted was peace and quiet whilst working on
that patch of ground! ;-)

Richard.