Old 17-02-2005, 06:33 PM
Rod

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:47:20 +0000, The Reids
wrote:

Following up to Tim Challenger

Are there any issues I should be aware of?

The occasional free jar of honey?

there's a point, pretend i'm considering complaining, need
something to keep me sweet?

It happens ;~)) Free honey is a very useful sweetener, works well for
the bee-keeper and the aggrieved party. If the bee-keeper is competent
and responsible they will be aware of precautions they can take to
ensure the bees fly upwards away from the hive rather than low across
next door's plot.
I would hope that in a sensitive location like that they will ensure
the bees kept are a docile strain.
Spraying shouldn't be an issue if everbody observes the precautions
given on every pack of pesticide.
You will all get better pollination.
Some of you may get a fascinating insight into the lives of these
wonderful creatures.
I've kept bees adjacent to our walled kitchen garden here for nearly
30 years with no major casualties.
Anybody with a BO problem or wearing certain strongly perfumed
cosmetics may find themselves subject to the bees' attention, as will
anybody who tries to vandalise or disturb the hives.
Most problems if any will occur while the beekeeper is working on the
bees so if things start to look nasty I would hope he would close the
hives quickly and let things settle down.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.