Old 17-02-2005, 11:03 PM

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:45:33 -0500 in . unc.edu Michael wrote:

Hi! I'm currently planning things for the garden and am curious as to
others' thoughts on backyard greenhouses. I've seen the "pop-up"
varieties (shelving or frames with plastic sheeting over them,
collapsible, etc.) and the more permanent ones. I've gotten some starter
trays and a little electric mini greenhouse that will hold a few seedlings
at a time. I'm curious about something larger, though. Does anyone have
one of the collapsible kind, and an opinion to share? The thought of a
big, glass greenhouse in my backyard is awesome to me, but not my
checkbook, and the smaller, impermanent variety seem like a much more
economical option.

I've been considering a greenhouse in the back yard or
a solarium attached to the house.
The latter will increase your home's resale value.

I have been informed there is a lower bound on greenhouse size
before the temperature can be stabilized within, but don't
remember the size.

I have a catalog at home which includes greenhouses with
polycarbonate end walls and plastic film for the rest.
The plastic will need to be replaced every 1-3 years.

Don't forget that most areas will want building permits for
any electrical work, plumbing work, or permanent foundation.

Thanks!

Michael
Durham

--