Old 18-02-2005, 03:12 AM
simy1

According to the book "Reader's Digest Organic Gardening for the 21st
Century," tomatoes should not be part of your crop rotation scheme

and
should be left in the same bed year after year: "Tomatoes are
narcissistic and do not like to rotate." That hit me as strange, as I
thought tomatoes were fairly prone to soil-borne diseases and would
definitely benefit from regular crop rotation. Any comments from the
tomato gurus in the group?

-Fleemo

count me amongst those who do not believe it. Besides blight as a
soil-borne disease, consider the hundreds of grams of K you take out of
the soil with each crop (1 tomato, 1 gram). If you put down the same
compost everywhere every year, you may end up with the tomato patch low
in K and high in, say, N. Rotation will prevent that.