Old 18-02-2005, 11:54 AM
Oxymel of Squill

I'm on my third shredder in 3 years (a time rich cash poor contribution
you'll have guessed) The Black & Decker kept going wrong (as did the B&D
scorpion saw - wouldn't ever buy B&D kit again any more than I would buy a
Hewlet Packard printer). The Power Devil shredder at £70ish worked
wonderfully and didn't jam anywhere near so much as the B&D. Both had
spinning discs with blades to chop the stuff. Not Power Devil's fault it got
junked, my own stupidity. Now have a JCB(?) at £180 which has a rotating
cogwheel that chews the branches. It's not as efficient imho as the spinning
disc as it doesn't always produce little chunks, often get a long string of
perforated branch instead. If you spend £500 perhaps you get one with
goblins with hacksaws inside who do a perfect job - depending on how much
you use it I'd go for the Power Devil

"Piers Parkin" wrote in message
I am intending to purchase a garden shredder and am looking for an electric
model in the 300 - 500 pound range. I have been told that cheap shredders
are a waste of time, and like most people I am cash rich but time poor.
Why
people waste money on cheap junk always fascinates me!

Two models that receive good write-ups are the Scheppach Lonos 3 and the
ALKO SP5000. These appear to be the same machine despite a difference in
price of seventy pounds.

Are these the same machines or is the Scheppach made to a higher standard?

Does anyone have any experience of either shredder or can recommend an
alternative?

Yours Piers - The Surrey Plantsman (Only an acre but well tended!)