Old 18-02-2005, 05:09 PM
John Tucker

figaro wrote:
From: "John Tucker"
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 21:36:10 GMT
Subject: Bamboo and Austree Trees

I have very small back yard so I'm in big-time need of a privacy
hedge. I'm also interested in something that grows fast because I
don't plan on being here for more than another three years or so.
I've seen some yards with bamboo, which seems to provide for a nice,
thick privacy screen. I've also just started looking into Austree
Hybrids, which can grow six to seven feet in one season -
http://austree.com/rma/trees/index.html.

Does anyone here have experience with either of these and care to
comment or advise?

I think the flaw in your logic here is that plants may grow quickly
putting on several feet in one year but that does not mean they will
provide any privacy due to the fact that most of that growth is from
the main lead and goes straight up. For a plant to fill out and
become a screen, much more than three years are needed. The first
year, the plants will become established; the second year you will
see decent growth; the third year they will start growing like crazy
and the fourth year you will be moving. They will only start
providing some screening in the fourth or fifth year, at the earliest
no matter what you plant, and will only become a privacy screen after
six or seven years. There is no quick fix here except maybe to buy
mature italian cypress and to plant them very closely.

How about some sort of high fence with vines planted on it. Some
vines would only take one season to provide privacy and if you create
some sort of pergola or overhead trellis you may be able to get the
privacy you want in the time frame you need.

It's more like a lack of knowledge, which is why I'm here asking questions:
to learn. :-)

Thank you for the vines suggestion. I will consider it.

--
John Tucker
Euless, TX (just east of Fort Worth)