Old 18-02-2005, 03:48 PM
Jim Lesurf

In article , Phil L
wrote:
Jim Lesurf wrote:

Your clock is five hours out, you posted this at 14:38 yet it comes up
as being sent at 9:08 this morning.

Maybe that's because I wrote it at one time, but actually posted it when I
went online later on. Hence both times in the header may be essentially
correct for what they represent.

What you see will depend to some extent on the software you are using.
Also perhaps on the routing and your ISP.

However if you look at the headers, a line like "Date:" may indicate
when the the item was written.

Whereas one like the "NNTP-Posting Date:" may indicate when the item was
uploaded/transmitted.

If you're using something like 'Hotmail' the difference is minor as the
item may be posted as soon as writing ends. However if, like me, you
read and write mail/news offline and post at the next connection, then
the times may differ by the relevant period. IIRC this is covered in
the relevant rfc's, but it is years since I read them, so this is all
from my memory.

Just checked and the clock on my machine is about 1-2 min fast according to
teletext, etc. Both my news agent and my client use the same clock.

Slainte,

Jim

Armstrong Audio http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/Audio/armstrong.html
Barbirolli Soc. http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/JBSoc/JBSoc.html