Old 18-02-2005, 08:13 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Johnboy wrote:
My lawns are looking very poor, 60% moss, plus white patches.

I think the problem is due to the turf being layed over heavy clay soil,
actually I know this is the problem, new build syndrome, will top dressing
do any good and if so what mix should I use?

It will increase the profits of the people who sell you the top dressing.
Other than that, almost certainly not.

The ideal solution would be to remove a foot of clay all round and introduce
some organic material and fresh soil but I cant afford this.

Then learn to love your moss. It is naturally low-growing, soft
underfoot, drought and waterlogging resistant and so on. An ideal
lawn plant in many ways :-)

And you can use it for lining pots, hanging backets etc., as well
as growing epiphytes, packing plants for transport, dressing wounds
and for a lot of other gardening purposes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.