Old 18-02-2005, 08:49 PM
a.c.

Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article .com,

a.c.
writes

That is essentially correct, but there should be one.
Dutch (Nederlands)and Flemish {Vlaams} can be distinctly different.
Assimil, (a good home-language-course supplier)has at least 2
Tallpocket Vlaams booklets, but they're not what you might call a
dictionary, though that is due to its layout.
An example would be their translation for May (the month)
The book gives it in Dutch (nl) as Mei,
in antwerp it is Maaj,
in Brugs it is Meie
and in Gent it is Maa.

So what's Walloon/Wallon then? I know my father learnt to speak it
fluently in the War but I thought it was a Flemish dialect.

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Belgium has a language border. Imagine the country divided in two with
Brussels in the centre, but within the upper half. That half is
Vlanderen and they speak Vlaams, though the official language is
Nederlands (as opposed to Netherlands, the place, or Nederland, which
is what the Dutch call it) Except in Brussels, where they mainly speak
French.
Then south of that language border, is Wallonie (with 2 dots over that
e) There they speak French.
I've just asked about Walloon, but it drew a bit of a blank, except to
say it may refer to the dialect in that region... and that would be a
French dialect, not Dutch and therefore not Vlaams.
My girlfried rather enjoyed meeting my South African friends when I was
in London, and this was although her English is excellent, she was
quite faccinated by their Afrikaans