Old 18-02-2005, 09:03 PM
Johnboy

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Johnboy wrote:
My lawns are looking very poor, 60% moss, plus white patches.

I think the problem is due to the turf being layed over heavy clay soil,
actually I know this is the problem, new build syndrome, will top

dressing
do any good and if so what mix should I use?

It will increase the profits of the people who sell you the top dressing.
Other than that, almost certainly not.

Why not?

The ideal solution would be to remove a foot of clay all round and

introduce
some organic material and fresh soil but I cant afford this.

Then learn to love your moss. It is naturally low-growing, soft
underfoot, drought and waterlogging resistant and so on. An ideal
lawn plant in many ways :-)

She who must be obeyed wants grass.

And you can use it for lining pots, hanging backets etc., as well
as growing epiphytes, packing plants for transport, dressing wounds
and for a lot of other gardening purposes.

And you can glue it to your face, jump out of hiding and scare the shit out
of people, sorry, no sale