Old 19-02-2005, 03:06 AM
Robin

Default kh weirdness

Hi!

This is a request for help. I lurk a lot and am somehwat new to
aquariums and new to planted aquariums, and have gained so much
valuable information from all of the rec.aquaria forums.

I have just started up a tiny (5 gallon) aquarium. I decided to try
the diy yeast method CO2 injection and since I've never attempted it I
opted not to put anything live in yet, so there is only substrate
(Eco-Complete) and water.

After a day or so of CO2 injection I tested the water. Strangely, my
kh went up from 4.5 tap water level to 7. The Ph went up too, from
7.6-7.8 tap water level to 8.0. Huh? So, I increased the yeast:sugar
ratio today and the Ph has fallen to tap water level but the kh went up
9. I measured it twice and then checked the tap water level again to
make sure the test itself wasn't faulty.

I scooped out some substrate and tried the vinegar test and no fizz.

The only other factor is ammonia. I'm trying the fishless cycling
method and it's currently 5.0 and nitrites appeared today at .25. I
don't think this is relavent, though.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I searched the forums and the
only other mention of a kh rise w/ Co2 involved a tablet (I'm using
yeast). Can anyone help me?