Old 19-02-2005, 02:10 AM
Phisherman

I give my cereus care similar to that needed by a Christmas cactus.
Transplant it every 5 years with standard potting mix, fast drainage,
filtered sun. I feed it diluted fish emulsion during the growing
season (spring to late summer), but otherwise no special care. I hang
it under the deck where it gets brief morning sun. I bring it indoors
when temperatures fall below 40. It is neglected during the winter,
perhaps watering once a month. At about 8 years after starting the
plant from a slip, it bloomed. The slip was taken from a friend in
Hollywood CA, where it was growing outdoors year round. I'm in E.TN,
zone 7.

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 07:25:53 -0500, "Bonnie Jean"
wrote:

Wow, I am very impressed. I have a small night -blooming cereusin a 4" pot.
It has never done well. Last summer I was told it shouldn't be in soil but
bark chips like an orchid. Still it has hardly grown. Can you give me some
tips on how I can help this plant do better? I would very much appreciate
it.
Bonnie in NJ

"Phisherman" wrote in message
.. .

I have a night-blooming cereus in a hanging pot under the deck. It is
7-8 feet across, about 17 years old, looks gangly, but really puts on
a show when it goes into bloom.