Old 19-02-2005, 01:05 PM
Ozdude

"Robin" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi!

This is a request for help. I lurk a lot and am somehwat new to
aquariums and new to planted aquariums, and have gained so much
valuable information from all of the rec.aquaria forums.

I have just started up a tiny (5 gallon) aquarium. I decided to try
the diy yeast method CO2 injection and since I've never attempted it I
opted not to put anything live in yet, so there is only substrate
(Eco-Complete) and water.

After a day or so of CO2 injection I tested the water. Strangely, my
kh went up from 4.5 tap water level to 7. The Ph went up too, from
7.6-7.8 tap water level to 8.0. Huh? So, I increased the yeast:sugar
ratio today and the Ph has fallen to tap water level but the kh went up
9. I measured it twice and then checked the tap water level again to
make sure the test itself wasn't faulty.

I scooped out some substrate and tried the vinegar test and no fizz.

What's the substrate? Pebbles, sea sand? Vinegar isn't strong enough to
really test for bicarbonate. Use pH down instead.

The only thing I can think of that would raise these figures is
Magnesium/Sulphates and Sodium/Bicarbonate. I think phosphate can do it too
if it's at a high enough level. Do you know what chemicals are in your tap
water?

You really need the tank cycled completely and plants and fish in it before
you start with the CO2.

It's going to be hard to get a grip on the chemistry of the tank whilst the
ammonia and nitrite haven't really had a chance to happen. Real plants will
help here because they, to some extent, will help with the cycle, but you
need ammonia to start it off in the first place, and I personally don't
believe those bacterial "starter" liquids are as good as real biology at
cycling a tank.

No judgement here; but I think you should yank the CO2, and take a step
back. Be patient whilst the tank cycles. Get some plants in and THEN start
the CO2, once you've got a handle on the water chemistry.

Too many things are incomplete or all over the place and out of balance, the
way the tank currently is.

The only other factor is ammonia. I'm trying the fishless cycling
method and it's currently 5.0 and nitrites appeared today at .25. I
don't think this is relavent, though.

I do. Ammonia will raise the pH and so will Nitrite. Nitrate will lower it.

You don't tell us about your filtration either - that could be an issue as
well, but it's hard to tell when I'm guessing

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I searched the forums and the
only other mention of a kh rise w/ Co2 involved a tablet (I'm using
yeast). Can anyone help me?

Yes, we can help. My advice is back off - cycle the tank - add some plants
and fish after the cycle is complete and then add sufficient lighting and
lastly CO2.

You could forego the CO2 gas and use something like Seachem Flourish, which
has the carbon in soluble chemical form.

Personally, although my plants are going fine with Yeast CO2 and my pH only
bounces around 0.2 between dark and light, I find it's quite a routine to
get two bottles "cycling" - i.e. start one, one week, then the other the
next week and interchange each bottle a fortnight later - in other words
you're making up a bottle a week constantly.

If two bottles are started at the same time I get a big pH drop, then a rise
in pH about a week later - it holds for a week or so, then rises again to
0.2 below tap water when the bubble count lowers as the mixtures peeter out.
My KH wavers during this type of cycle by about 1dKH, so in figures it looks
like this(pH): 7.8 - 6.8 - 7.0 - 7.2 - 7.4 - 7.6-7.7 which is not good
for the fish IMO.

Even with cycling bottles this cycle of pH happens but the drop from 7.8 is
only to 7.2 and it goes lower for about a week to 6.8 and then raises back
to about 7.2 at it's worst.

It's not visibly affecting any of my fish at this time, but I do worry that
it's stressing them out over a longer period and therefore weakening them in
the long run.

I am tottering with the idea of getting rid of the DIY CO2 and using
Flourish and substrate fertilizers. We'll see. It depends on how much longer
I can stand the chemistry bouncing around in the water column.

The other option is to buy a regulated tank CO2 system, but when all is said
and done, I want my tank to look at, not as some type of scientific project.
It's a matter of finding a balance for the tank, and a greater balance of
techniques to obtain that balance, so you can sit back and enjoy it.

Oz