Old 19-02-2005, 11:54 AM
Yabbadoo

Alas, I have no means of "quarantining" fish - I do check and rely on the
answer from the suppliers (that their fish have been quarantined - they say,
for a month before being offered for sale). In the emergency last year I
did use a 55 gallon barrel, filled with conditioned water with added salt -
plus an air pump - this worked for a day or so, but I wouldn't want to
stress my fish for any longer time in that - some were pretty big, with only
"up and down" swim room..
It also worked as a "hospital" tank for one fish which developed a powdery
coating all over - 2 days in briny water cured it. (Actually, on
reflection - since the new stock will be small Koi, this could work - how
long would you think is reasonable for "quarantine" for already-quarantined
fish?)

I'm interested as to which plants would "cure" blanket weed. I have a lot of
plants on the margin (roots in the water) which thrive and multiply very
well indeed. However, blanket weed amasses in their underwater roots just as
prolifically as elsewhere.

Thank you for your interest and advice.
Len
"~ Windsong ~" P@P wrote in message

"Yabbadoo" wrote in message
UK is in the Western hemisphere, it is currently mid-winter approaching
Spring. We are about 40 miles North of London. To date this winter, no

snow,
ambient temperature varying between 32 and 50 degrees F.
I have a small pond, self-dug, about 800 gallons, made about about 10

years
ago. It did have an eclectic mix of fish, but two major catastrophes
occurred, both within the last year.

Blanket weed became a thing of the past when I added MORE pond plants to
my
ponds. Remember to ALWAYS quarantine new fish before adding them to you
pond. No matter where you get them from you have no idea what they may be
infected with.
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"When I feed the poor, they call me a saint;