Old 19-02-2005, 10:47 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Johnboy wrote:

I thought the sand might have an effect on the moss, plus the nutrients in
the mix could help more grass to grow, this could take a few seasons to
work.

Many people misunderstand about sand. It doesn't work by chemical
action, but by creating a soil structure which has a network of gaps.
I can't tell you how much you would need to add to pure clay to
get some draining but, from my garden, it needs to be at least 60%
by volume, perhaps 80%. Top dressing will not cut the mustard.

If the nutrients are going to help (and they will, fractionally),
they will do so in the first season. Like MacArthur, the moss will
be back ....

It isn't going to make the clay go away and, unless
that happens, the drainage isn't going to improve.

Good point, I have thought of adding a few inches of topsoil, would this
work?

No. A couple of feet, maybe. To make much difference, you need to
add at least half a ton of sharp sand per square metre, perhaps double
that. You would do a LOT better just digging the area over to at
least 1' down (2' if you have the energy) - it won't help with the
makeup of the soil, but will break up packed soil.

I suggest that you test the composition of your soil. You need a
white glass wine bottle, a small amount of washing powder, and a
little effort. Look up on the net how to do it - that is where I
found out from.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.