Old 19-02-2005, 05:00 PM
wary chicken

Richard Sexton wrote:
Crypts are a diverse Genus and are spread all over Asia (and
only Asia, modulo the volunteers in Jamaica, Florida, Texas,
California and elsewhere), so,if you're trying to do,
say, a Malaysianbiotome tanks you probably don't want plants
from India or Borneo in there.

Jan's "Crypt Pages" give maps of where each plant is from; the
site is hosted on an IP address so I provide a domain name
pointer to it: http://crypts.aquaria.net

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org

Hmm. That's a good point. I checked Mongabay again, as the crypt pages
looks like a good resource, and found info that Betta Splendens and
Rasbora espei are native to Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, and Vietnam.
Betta splendens were introduced to malaysia, and I see no mention of
espei Rasboras in malaysia.

Interestingly enough according to this site
http://www.masterliness.com/a/Mekong.River.htm, the Mekong river
travels through Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, and Vietnam

I guess I need to find more info on biotopes in the above areas.

Some info from the "Crypts pages" (Mainland Asia section):

C. Albida - this was collected near streams in Ban Wagyon, Thailand. I
guess this plant grows emersed, or perhaps seasonally emersed?

C. annamica, C. vietnamensis near "Da Nong", Vietnam (though perhaps
not in the same biotope?)

Cryptocoryne crispatula var. balansae - found near Mueak Lek in
Thailand, it sounds like this is a river and has hard water. The site
mentions that crypts from the "crispatula group" prefer hard water (I
guess from calcium leaching out from limestone?).

C. ciliata - tidal areas from India to New Guinea (I guess this means
it's a brackish plant??)