Old 19-02-2005, 02:30 PM
a.c.

Douglas wrote:
It's curious because in spite of the origins of English, Geordie

words
often compare more so with Dutch words, (Geordie might say "summet"

for
"some", whereas the "Sommige" (NL)sounds more like summet) and a

strong
Dublin accent would help in pronouncing quite a few too.(out: uit).
But whether Geordies could make more sense from the Dutch plant names

couldn't say.[/QUOTE Wrote:

Scottish words and German seem to paralel too at times.

The word Kirk is used to mean a church, and in German it is Kirche.

There are a few I have come across in my time, but cannot really

think
of them off hand at the moment.

--
Douglas

Likewise I keep thinking I should make a
same-words-but-different-meanings list.
Like trap = stairs.
Bad = bath
Been = leg