Old 20-02-2005, 12:49 AM
Richard Sexton

Some info from the "Crypts pages" (Mainland Asia section):

C. Albida - this was collected near streams in Ban Wagyon, Thailand. I
guess this plant grows emersed, or perhaps seasonally emersed?

C. annamica, C. vietnamensis near "Da Nong", Vietnam (though perhaps
not in the same biotope?)

Cryptocoryne crispatula var. balansae - found near Mueak Lek in
Thailand, it sounds like this is a river and has hard water. The site
mentions that crypts from the "crispatula group" prefer hard water (I
guess from calcium leaching out from limestone?).

C. ciliata - tidal areas from India to New Guinea (I guess this means
it's a brackish plant??)

I have great difficulty with albida submersed although it grows
superbly emersed for me.

I've never seen annamica or vietnamensis except in photos.

I've got ciliata, it's of medium rarity, attractive plant,
tolerates bracksh water (!) but is the slowest growing
crypt on the planet.

balansae is a real winner for me. Unkillable, grows like
gangbusters, commonly available and cheap.

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org