Old 19-02-2005, 08:21 PM
Larry

Thanks to everyone for all their replies. Keep in mind that the plant is ~30
feet total length, including all its branches off of branches off of
branches, etc.

The plant is in a plastic pot with width, length and height each 18 inches.
I have a trellis at each of 2 adjacent sides, and the vine is wrapped around
the trellises as much as possible. It is presently inside during the winter,
but is normally kept outside in a screened in porch during the spring,
summer and fall months (I do not have a greenhouse [yet - maybe someday]).
When outside it is against 1 wall of the screened porch (facing South) and 1
wall of the house.

I add water with MSU fertilizer (a recent change); and frequently mist the
aerial roots with water with or without fertilizer.

Pictures can be viewed he
- http://www.lwpes.org/temp/vanilla1.jpg
- http://www.lwpes.org/temp/vanilla2.jpg
- http://www.lwpes.org/temp/vanilla3.jpg

Larry

"Ray" wrote in message
Larry,

My understanding is that vanilla needs to climb to the highest point
available, then start back down before it feels ready to bloom.

How in the world are you caring for a plant that big???

"Larry" wrote in message
Hi all!

I have a fantastically growing vanilla (I assume Vanilla planifolia but I
cannot be sure) that started out as a small, 12 inch piece and is now
well over 30 feet total length, including many branches off branches,
etc. It has numerous aerial roots coming off the nodes opposite leaves as
expected.

The plant was purchased an at orchid show here in Jacksonville, FL
probably ~3 yr ago. It is in a pot (presently indoors until it stays
warm outside at night), in african violet potting soil mixed with some
perlite (this is what the grower told me to use when I bought it. I do
not know if it is optimal, and I did not know any better at the time;
plus, it has grown so well I did not want to change it, i.e., I did not
want to fix anything that was not broken).

I was wondering if there is something I can do to get it to flower. At
http://clanorchids.com/culture/vanilla.html I read that the vines
"...should be tip pruned to induce flowering". Any suggestions on exactly
how to do this properly?

Any other comments or suggestions?

TIA.

Larry