Old 19-02-2005, 11:27 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 11:54:03 GMT, "Yabbadoo" wrote:

Alas, I have no means of "quarantining" fish - I do check and rely on the
answer from the suppliers (that their fish have been quarantined - they say,
for a month before being offered for sale). In the emergency last year I
did use a 55 gallon barrel, filled with conditioned water with added salt -
plus an air pump - this worked for a day or so, but I wouldn't want to
stress my fish for any longer time in that - some were pretty big, with only
"up and down" swim room..
It also worked as a "hospital" tank for one fish which developed a powdery
coating all over - 2 days in briny water cured it. (Actually, on
reflection - since the new stock will be small Koi, this could work - how
long would you think is reasonable for "quarantine" for already-quarantined
fish?)

Please read this, ALL OF IT, about why to quarantine:
http://tinyurl.com/55kv6

If you can't quarantine, and feel safe that the koi don't have any of the
viruses mentioned at the above website, the very least you should do is
salt dip them before putting in your pond. This will prevent them bringing
in a load of parasites that might take off on a stressed fish. It will not
prevent them for pH or temperature shock or getting sick from something
their immune system isn't accustom to in your pond.

I'm interested as to which plants would "cure" blanket weed. I have a lot of
plants on the margin (roots in the water) which thrive and multiply very
well indeed. However, blanket weed amasses in their underwater roots just as
prolifically as elsewhere.

Do you have any lilies to shade the surface? Or any surface shading plants
or artificial (shade cloth) will also help immensely. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~