Old 19-02-2005, 11:58 PM
ned

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
ned wrote:

snip

I had a discussion with a vet who held the 'subjective' opinion

that
ragwort was the easy excuse for bad equine management. He claimed

he
had not seen a case of liver damage which could solely be

attributed
to ragwort poisoning. He had seen cases (plural) where nibbling of
creosoted stabling and rails, had proved fatal. And he also reeled

off
a list of other plants which would prove just as dangerous

(including
bracken, deadly nightshade, hemlock, yew, privet - these were just

the
'common sense' ones that I can remember). And let's not forget

mouldy
hay and too rich feeding leading to laminitis which can also prove
fatal.

Ragwort is just the scapegoat.

That does seem to be sensible. Stock won't generally eat it if
there's anything else, though hay and silage is a different matter.
But since it kills by causing cirrhosis of the liver, autopsy can't
establish for certain that ragwort was or was not the cause.

I understand that the toxin accrues within the body over a
considerable period of time. It is not just one contaminated feed that
causes the problem. Is there not a test which could identify the
specific accumulated toxin?

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk