Old 20-02-2005, 02:08 PM
Bonnie Jean

I have several "moth" orchids. I let them go dry between waterings. they are
also potted in sphagnum moss...not soil. Bark chips are also fine for
potting media. There is a newsgroup devoted just to orchids. You may want to
ask there.

Bonnie

"Tom Randy" wrote in message
news On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 17:05:15 -0800, Karen wrote:

I got one of these plants for Valentine's Day. Hubby bought it at Lowe's
and the lable also called it "Orquidea De la Polilla" and "Phalaenopsis
amabilis." While googling Phalaenopsis, most varieties seemed to be
white, and this one has purple flowers.

The tag for its care mentioned bright light and to keep it moist. One
site said to keep it on a tray of pebbles (with water) and in an eastern
window. Right now the plant is on a table close to a southern window with
no pebbles.

This house is dry and not warm in winter. I turn the heat down to 60F
every night and up to 65F each day. Yeah, we wear sweaters a lot. Today
the humidity outside is 40%, but's it's often drier indoors with the
heating, obviously.

I guess I can kill this plant within the year and get a full refund from
Lowe's, but I sort of like it and would like to keep it around for longer.
I will put it on a tray of pebbles so it gets more humidity. I don't have
a mister here as most of my plants are succulents and don't need misting.
Should I buy a mister and use it daily? (now that sounds raunchy!)

A humidifier would help.

I can put this in an eastern window but the heat would drop down very low
at night, as heavy drapes are closed on the window at night and this poor
plant would be caught between the window and the drapes. It gets to 20F
some nights here. Or I could keep it on its table by the southern window
where it might only get some direct sun for an hour or so at this season
and it wouldn't be on a windowsill to catch a chill.

A south window is fine just keep the direct sun off of it. BRIGHT light.

Or, I could place it
in a southern window made of glass bricks with no curtains. I sort of
like the last idea, but it would have to share the niche with a fingers
jade (monstrose Crassula) that has no other place to go.

So, can this plant be kept? Any of you have any experience with this type
of flora?

You'll do fine with it. Keep the potting mix slightly moist, bright light
and you'll be just fine.