Old 20-02-2005, 06:13 PM
Franz Heymann

"pied piper" wrote in message

"Johnboy" wrote in message
My lawns are looking very poor, 60% moss, plus white patches.

I think the problem is due to the turf being layed over heavy clay

soil,
actually I know this is the problem, new build syndrome, will top

dressing
do any good and if so what mix should I use?

The ideal solution would be to remove a foot of clay all round and
introduce
some organic material and fresh soil but I cant afford this.

Thanks

dont top dress until autumn give the lawn a good spike most moss is

the
cause of poor aeration in the soil profile apply some moss killer

and a
dose of sulphate of iron one the moss goes black scarify and box off

then
brush some seed into the bare areas this should reduce the moss

also apply
a spring summer fertiliser to boost the grass regular spiking every
fortnight will help also box off your cuttings when mowing the grass

as
build up of thatch and organic material will add to the problem

good luck

Please try some punctuation next time. Your contribution might well
have been good, but I will never know, as I gave up half way through.

Franz