Old 16-02-2005, 03:27 PM
Mr Gardener

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 08:46:21 +0000, Lee-Ann
wrote:

i have the most dreadful snail problem. They are eating my basil,
geranium, carrots, lettuce, spinach and marigolds. My local nursery
recommended tobacco dust, which I have sprinkled but they just seem to
try and find a way around it - it's driving me crazy. Any suggestions
would be most appreciated.

Tobacco dust sounds like it could be poisonous to some creatures.
Commercial preparations using iron phosphate are available, and have
been very effective for me. Sluggo is one, I use Escar-Go from Gardens
Alive! http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=2111

-- Mr Gardener
-- Zone 5 - On The Maine Coast