Old 21-02-2005, 06:07 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Mostyn" wrote in message
I live in the UK. Last year I had a visit from a heron and he cleaned out
all my goldfish.
so since then I have rebuilt my pond and made it bigger so I can switch

over
this year to Jap Koi Carp, I have put in a larger better filtration system
and pump, But my only fear is that dammed Heron, so if any one can sagest

way to stop his visits this year especially after I restock with koi I

would
be grateful.

=======================
I've had YEARS of experience with herons. We see them here about year
'round. The only thing that we found (other ponders I know in my area) that
worked was to NET the ponds with a fine bird netting. Once herons get a few
meals at your pond they will come back continuously. Some people may
suggest those motion spray things - but the herons will learn to come up
BEHIND them and so avoid being sprayed and startled. The nets also keep
out the other fish predators such as bullfrogs, snakes, King Fishers and
snapper/mud turtles. Just my 2¢ worth. :-)
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"People who want to share their religious views with you almost