Old 20-02-2005, 06:04 PM
Derek Broughton

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

Roy, shows he doesn't know everything, typed:

Unnecessary derogatory comments snipped
More salt is in order....BGotta build up the electrolytes sp a better
cpnductive path can be had and then possibly your GFCI (if you have
one) will "TRIP" if its a common type GFCI device if not and its an
oddball then it will FLIP.

Electrical devices will bleed off minute amounts of charge that won't flip
a GFCI. At least that is what this product takes care of:

Rid-Volt” Titanium Grounding Probe www.aquaticeco.com Part # TG10

I confess, I didn't go to the site to check it out, but I very much doubt
it's worth the money.

Electrical devices can't "bleed off minute amounts of charge" (at least to
the point of being hazardous) without tripping a GFI. What happens is that
there is no path "to ground" in a typical rubber- or plastic-lined pond.
So a pump might have a ground fault, but not trip a GFI until it gets a
clear path to ground (e.g., you). That still shouldn't be a real problem
as the GFI should trip before you're harmed.

The grounding probe just ensures that the GFI trips at the time the fault
really occurs. However, a copper wire (in the pond) fastened to a length
of rebar (in the ground outside the pond) should do the job as well as a
Titanium grounding probe. Concrete or clay ponds shouldn't ever be a
problem.
--
derek