Old 21-02-2005, 08:38 AM
Martin Brown

Warwick wrote:
I just planted up the contents of a seed packet into a number of pots
and expect to see lots of little plants in a few weeks.

I have a bed area prepared for them.. no problems there.

I did similar last year and they were all eaten by slugs within a day of
planting out. I didn't get a single plant beyond 4 leaves.

Harden them off for a bit outside before planting in the final location.
And unless it is against your religion put a few slug pellet around the
base of each new plant whilst they get established. Otherwise the bruise
damage you inflict when planting them will attract slugs from miles around.

Is there a companion plant I should consider to distract the slugs. A
particularly slug resistant mulch?

Even the one I threw on the compost heap rooted and grew a crop so they
are pretty tough. I usually only plant a couple since that is all I have
room for each grabs a 6' square of ground (more if it is allowed to).

Last year they ignored the beer traps and preferred to nip the pumpkins
in the bud.

I managed to get a whole two plants to crop, but they were in the
greenhouse.

They grew OK outside last year for me. Worth also trying courgettes -
they are delicious when small and you can grow a few on at the end of
season as marrows for winter soups.

Regards,
Martin Brown