Old 21-02-2005, 01:28 PM
Mike Lyle

Martin Brown wrote:
Warwick wrote:
I just planted up the contents of a seed packet into a number of

pots
[...]
They grew OK outside last year for me. Worth also trying

courgettes -
they are delicious when small and you can grow a few on at the end

of
season as marrows for winter soups.

The problem with big pumpkins in Britain is that it's very difficult
to get them ready for use. A real Aussie pumpkin is dried out by
exposure -- just as you see rows of them on roofs in places like
Malta. That way they don't stay watery and tasteless. (I speak in
theory, as I dislike the things whatever you do to them. Pumpkin
scones are reasonable, I suppose.)

I'd say the variety to grow in this country is butternut: they're
nicer than the giants, and are ready to use much sooner.

Mike.