Old 21-02-2005, 01:37 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Mike Lyle" writes:

| The problem with big pumpkins in Britain is that it's very difficult
| to get them ready for use. A real Aussie pumpkin is dried out by
| exposure -- just as you see rows of them on roofs in places like
| Malta. That way they don't stay watery and tasteless. (I speak in
| theory, as I dislike the things whatever you do to them. Pumpkin
| scones are reasonable, I suppose.)

Actually, no. More of the difference is that the ordinary pumpkins
are the same species as marrows (C. pepo), and the whole species is
tasteless. Hubbards etc. are C. maxima, which are drier, starchier
and nuttier - and MUCH better, but more difficult to get seed for.

I grew some Queensland Blues last year (as Aussie as you like),
and they were very hubbard-like. So are Japanese katsuba.

| I'd say the variety to grow in this country is butternut: they're
| nicer than the giants, and are ready to use much sooner.

Eh? They are C. moschata, need quite a lot MORE heat than the
others, and so are very iffy. I also dislike them because they
are sweet, sickly and somewhat slimy (much like orange sweet
potatoes, whereas I love white ones).

Please note that I am only 90% certain of the species of each
type.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.