Old 21-02-2005, 09:28 AM
Jim Lesurf

In article , Amazin
wrote:

Jim Lesurf Wrote:
I've now had a chance to read the 'abc' posting and the webpages it
refers to. Since no-one has commented on my "Freesia bulbs" question
as yet I thought I'd try following what was suggested in the abc+FAQs
and give a brief outline of my situation/interest as I am a 'newcomer'
to gardening.

Hi Jim,

I'm an ex-pat Scot living in London. Freesias are my all-time favourite
flowers so I grow them every year. I'm putting mine in tomorrow, around
three inches down. Although my micro-climate is probably warmer than
yours, you mentioned applying cocoa mulch - this will give them any
extra protection they might need from the cold.

OK. Thanks for that info. At present it is snowing, but it sounds like I
can plant them in a few days if I choose.

At present I am havering about the mulch as I want to use it on this bed,
but I also fancy trying to sow some seeds 'on top' of the freesia bulbs. I
assume, though, that seeds and mulch don't go together at this time of
year? The snag is that I could delay the mulch, but that would presumably
not then give valuable protection. So I guess this is 'make my mind up' and
just put in the bulbs, use the mulch, and not also put down seeds in the
same place.

Good luck with this and all the other gardening you're planning!

At the moment 'planning' is too organised a term for what I am doing. I
just keep having ideas, but then have no clue if they make sense, or if I
can physically manage. 'Dreaming' is probably closer... except for the
effects I feel in my muscles and joints after a while in the garden. :-)

Slainte,

Jim

Audio Misc http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/AudioMisc/index.html
Armstrong Audio http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/Audio/armstrong.html