Old 22-02-2005, 12:16 AM
Farm1

"Lee-Ann" wrote in message

Hi all, my name is Lee-Ann, I am learning about Permaculture and the
book i'm reading talks abopt chook domes. I have no idea what these are
or what they are used for. I have seen photos now so have a slightly
better idea of what they look like, but what are they used for?

To find out all about it, try he
http://members.iinet.net.au/~helcree...f/geodesic.htm

The thing wrong with the ones illustrated ehre si that they wouldn't have
enough protection for the chooks in a cold or windy climate.

A friend of mine made and used several of these and as she had limited land
she used to move them around the village in the back of her ute (pick up) to
various locations where people let her run her chooks - she had a sideline
selling eggs. Very funny seeing these essentially very flimsy things
wobbling in the wind as they were transported.

They worked well for her (in a climate where it gets to +40 degrees C in
summer and -10 degrees C in winter and bloody wind non stop). She used old
solid shaped plastic grass clipping catchers from rotary lawn mowers as
nesting boxes (the sort of grass catchers used on Aussie mowers - about 2 ft
long and one ft high and made of black PVC). I still use these for my
chooks as I thought they were such a good idea.