Old 21-02-2005, 08:32 PM
Koi-ichi

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 09:23:14 -0500, Stephen Henning
wrote:
And what do you have to support your statements......
===On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 03:59:14 +0000, Phisherman wrote:
===
=== I'm thinking about getting a gas-powered chainsaw, perhaps 16" or less,
=== and wondered model/brands folks like best or worked well. I'm considered
=== Stihl and Husqvarna. Any other quality brands? I have about 150 trees,
=== probably an occasional use of the chainsaw. TIA
===
===No matter which saw you buy you can buy bars of different lengths if you
===find you need a different length bar. If you go to a saw shop, they
===will match up the bar length you want on any of their saws. My saw has
===two bars, a standard bar and a brush bar. The brush bar is designed for
===cutting at the end.

Been dealin g iwith chainsaws all my life and this is a new one on
me. Are you perhaps talking about a bow type bar........
===
===The saws that are the best balanced are the Stihl 025 C, Echo CS-4400,
===Jonsered 2040, and Stihl 021. This is important if you are doing a lot
===of cutting.

I have a hard time buying this
===
===The fastest cutting are the Stihl 025C & Stihl Super Farm Boss 029, and
===Husqvarna 345 & 350. They also have the greatest kickback. They are
===probably the ones to avoid.

Why do they have more kickback than any other saw........engine /
chain speed........they all use asymetrical bars and anti kick back
chain, use a saw properly and its not a problem.
===
===The best handling are the Stihl 025C and 021, Echo CS-4400, and Jonsered
===2040. This is a combination of good balance and low weight.

Still what do you base this advice on......Ehco is pityfull when it
comes to getting repair parts and their eco carbs are poor in design
and dependability. Theya re about the only manuf that has yet to
figure out how to make a decent or even half assed fixed jet
carb......Stihl 025 models run at much higher rpms, wear much fsater
and is a hyped up piece of junk copared to a Husky of equal engine
size..........
===
===The easiest to service is the Stihl 018C.

Also pretty pricey in regards to parts and such
===
===The best buys are the Craftsman Red Chassis 35038 and Craftsman Gray
===Chassis 35046. They are the least expensive and the safest with the
===least kickback but still good cutting speed.

Just buy the Green ones made by Poulan, its the same saw at a lesser
price and carries the same warranty, and the same identical piece of
junk
===
===Another good buy is the Stihl 018C, but it has a little more kickback
===then the Craftsman saws.

As concerned about kickback as you are with these saws I think you
would be well advised to stay away from ANY chainsaw.
===
===These are all good saws and you won't go wrong with any of them.

And I assume you have one of each so you can make these comparisons,
as all are consumer grade saws, not a saw a professional would choose
for daily use by any means.

Go to a local dealer be it Stihl, Husky, or even Poulan.See what fits
you the best, how the dealer treats you, his shop and service area ask
for a demo / test........see about references with satisfied
customers....tell him exactly what yur use is going to
be...........its the dealer that will make or break you not the
saw........Odds are you will not go wrong with most Stihls, Husky or
Jonsered. They all kick back and there is no such thing as a safer or
lesser kick back as comared to another, there is reduced kickback but
its still kickback. Learn to use a saw properly and always treat it as
a potential for kickback without any regards to what safety
implemntations may or may not be on it. No one saw is safer than
another, and usually the main reason some of the smaller saws cut
quicker is higher chain and engine speeds, as they are gutless at
lower rpms........Big saws better designed engines do not have to
necessarily run at these h igh speeds to cut fast........are you in
production or running a race in regards to how fast a saw can cut.They
all cut with a sharp chain and proper use and care.........and the
difference in what one and the other can cut is so minimal its not
an issue.