Old 22-02-2005, 12:40 AM
Warwick

In article ,
says...
The message MPG.1c83439f2cfa9310989924@dalai
from Warwick contains these words:

I just planted up the contents of a seed packet into a number of pots
and expect to see lots of little plants in a few weeks.

I have a bed area prepared for them.. no problems there.

They usually germinate and grow pretty fast, and are tender when
young...frost is fatal, so are you planning to use cloches when you
plant them out?

Yes, and also planning on letting them get bigger than last year.

I did similar last year and they were all eaten by slugs within a day of
planting out. I didn't get a single plant beyond 4 leaves.
Is there a companion plant I should consider to distract the slugs. A
particularly slug resistant mulch?

Make sure the plants are really well hardened off before you plant
them out. A ring-defence of dry woodash, and a mulch of crushed dead
bracken, both deter slugs from crossing them. Wear gloves to crumble
the bracken, it has irritating tiny sharp slivers.

I can manage that. thanks for the tips

Janet.