Old 22-02-2005, 12:48 AM
Warwick

In article .com,
says...
Warwick,
Can't you leave them in pots a little longer? Any plant with so few
leaves sounds like fair game to slugs. I planted out what I thought
was a maturing chilli peper plant last year (many leaves) - and the
slugs were not slow to help themselves.

I'll be making sure that they're a bit further on before they get put in
the ground and am happy to pot them on for a while indoors and then in
the cold greenhouse before they get planted. It was just do demoralising
last year to lose so many plants to slugs so quickly. At least with
Hostas you have a couple of days to get pellets down, but the pumpkins
all went in one night.

I suppose I could use pumpkins as protective planting. Plant out a bunch
of expensive Hostas and surround them with pumkin plants to give the
hostas a chance

Warwick