Old 22-02-2005, 09:53 AM
jane

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 20:21:13 +0000 (UTC), "Duncan"
wrote:

~
~"Lazarus Cooke" wrote in message
~news:210220050951503410%lazarus@stonecurlewfilms. com...
~
~ Properly kept bees should cause no problem at all. I keep a hive in my
~ London back garden. I handle thousands of bees with bare hands. I have
~ only been stung once - and that was when I was doing something stupid.
~
~
~ If someone in your allotment keeps a car, it is much more likely to
~ damage you or your family.
~
~ Lazarus
~
~ --
~ Remover the rock from the email address
~
~That's got me wondering...
~
~Is there actually any law against keeping a bee-hive in an urban back
~garden? Or any catch-all "nuisance" laws that could be used to get them
~removed?

It usually depends on your deeds. A lot of houses have restrictive
covenants which state what you can/cannot do in your property. Ours
has a ban on livestock, so we can't keep chickens or bees etc, whereas
the older houses whose gardens back onto ours can, and we hear the
clucking

Check your house deeds (assuming you have the freehold). A lot of folk
don't realise what's in them: the folk who owned ours before us
didn't, and built a conservatory. There's a clause in the deeds saying
we have to get permission from the builders to do anything which
alters the outside appearance of the house but they didn't notice, so
we had to get them to do it retrospectively before our on-the-ball
solicitor would let the sale proceed. Not sure that went down too
well!

If you rent, you'd have to go to the owner and get permission and
possibly find out what his/her deeds permit!

--
jane

Mark Twain