Old 22-02-2005, 05:08 PM
Kay

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Kay
writes

If double glazing is so good
how come many of the manufacturers don't offer it?

Because most gardeners don't heat their greenhouses through the winter?
It's only cactus growers and similar who tend to heat their greenhouses
significantly (i.e. maintaining a temperature of 40 deg F or
thereabouts) as opposed to merely maintaining it frost-free.

But surely if it's cheaper then even a cold greenhouse would benefit
from double glazing, you might get away with no heating at all.

A lot of greenhouses are left empty for a considerable part of the
winter, so it doesn't matter how cold they get.

If you have no heating, then the temperature inside the greenhouse
depends on heat from the sun during the day. I'm not sure how the
heating up of the greenhouse in the daytime is affected by double
glazing.

If you're heating a bit, then you need to balance the saving in heating
costs because of double glazing against the extra costs of having tht
double glazing.

Of course, it might just be that we're a bit slow at getting round to
double glazing in this country - look how many of our older homes either
have no double glazing at all or 'partial secondary double glazing'. If
we haven't got there with our homes (OK I know new homes are now almost
always built with double glazing), how much longer is it going to take
us with our greenhouses?
--
Kay