Old 22-02-2005, 10:24 PM
Cumberpach

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

I noticed that the label on the tray called Wilja was marked
early and late.

Now I have always assumed wilja to be second early.

Have they always been used as maincrop?

If they can be used as second and main it means I have only to
buy two varieties instead of three.

2 years ago, I grew Wilja and Accent and picked some of each variety as an
early. The remainder were allowed to mature as a main crop. Both were
medium/heavy croppers, nice waxy flavour,but the Wilja had a slightly
thicker skin.
If you like to saute potatoes, look out for the Irish main crop variety
'Golden Wonder'. Very tasty, but can be a low cropper.

Pete