Old 22-02-2005, 10:46 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article ,
r.p.mcmurphy writes
just had it installed today:-) nice 8*11 pressure treated deal timber one.
i laid a good 6inch concrete base for it...looks the biz! seems well
designed, with no places for water to pool and rot the wood...should last
ages. but should i do any more to it i.e. creosote or should i just leave
it?

Steve

My Alton one has a bad design fault where the roof glass lies on top of
a horizontal wooden strip so that they water runs down the glass and
onto the strip, this has been the first thing to rot.
However we've had the greenhouse since 1981.
We treat it every year or so with special cedar wood stuff, think it was
Cuprinol. Shouldn't think you'd need it when it's brand new.
Other place it has sagged is the roof beam as there's little central
bracing on the Dutch light style greenhouse (one that splays out at the
bottom)
Also no rotting along the horizontal bar along the concrete foundation.

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph