Old 23-02-2005, 11:02 AM
Ray

First of all, while there are likely national laws in many countries that
mandate such issues, there is no such case in the U.S. That is left to
local municipalities to manage through their building codes.

Second, Japan has the admirable (IMO) approach that any improvement is worth
investing in, while American culture has been too long been focused on the
"cost-benefit" relationship, or looking at it another way, the
"cost-associated risk" assessment. Unfortunately, in many situations, the
added cost of building a concrete structure is considered to outweigh the
potential risk, and its likelihood of happening. (I guess we're gamblers at
heart, as a society.)

Then there's also the attitude difference related to individual rights
versus the good of society. In Japan, the wellbeing of society as a whole
outweighs the individual. That's why, for example, it's common to see folks
with colds walking around with masks. If that concrete structure is well
built, it is a one-time cost, period. Here, "who in hell are you to tell me
what I can and cannot do" (individual rights ain't all that bad, by itself,
even if ours are being tromped on these days - let's not go there, though.),
but if the tornado tears down my place, you all will pay for it in higher
taxes funneled through FEMA, and in higher insurance rates.

But that cash flow is good for the economy, right???

"dusty" wrote in message

I'm wondering when the US will get smart and stop building stick homes in
hurricane zones and start building with concrete like they do in the
typhoon areas of Japan. Also I have never seen any buildings built as
close
to the ocean as we do. Maybe they have some sort of laws preventing it or
their builders are just smarter than ours.