Old 22-02-2005, 10:48 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"jay jay" wrote in message

Alan Gould Wrote:
In article , Ted Richardson
writes-
I have a large compost bin full of the scrapings
from the dropping board in the hen house.
It is pure poo, and unadulterated with litter etc.
What would be the best way to utilise this?
I suspect that it would be far too "hot"
to come into contact with any plant roots.
If it is dug into spare ground, how long would I
have to leave it before planting anything?
Your expertise would be appreciated.
-
Yes, fresh undiluted poultry manure is much too fierce to be applied
plants. Give it a couple of months with air access to mature, then
dilute it with compost before use. Even then keep it a few inches away
from growing plants.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

according to Bob Flowerdew its highly nitrogenous, a good source of
potash and great for making a compost heap cook. Always compost
first.

on the subject of chickens, I'm thinking of getting three - can anyone
tell me what flowers/vegetables in my garden might be of serious risk
or maybe this is a rather naive question?! (I'm at the very early
research stage and yet to convince somebody else what a wonderful idea
this is) I would like them to be as free as possible, though obviously
inside at night.

I breed poultry. They will ruin your garden if allowed unsupervised access
to it. You may need to build a nice big run and only allw them out for a few
hours a day. Or alternatively fence off areas where you don't want them.
They like lawns and won't hurt that. They will scratch all the moss out, and
eat nasty buggy things and the composted manure is great. Add to that the
bonus of lovely eggs and chickens are a great idea for a gardener. Might I
suggest you get yourself a good book? I can highly recommend 'starting with
chickens' by Katie Thear. Available from ebay, amazon etc. Or grab yourself
a copy of 'practical poultry' from WH Smiff.
www.geocities.com/fenlandfowl