Old 23-02-2005, 04:26 PM
Marcella Peek

In article .com,
"Ed" wrote:

Im fairly new to gardening, and this may be a stupid question, but how
do you grow tomatoe plants upside down ? how does the plant and dirt
stay in hanging upside down ? Also living in Washington state, would
this be a good climate to grow them like this ? What is the best
tomatoes for this area ?

thanks
Ed

The newspaper here did a series on this last summer. As I recall they
used the big 5 gallon plastic buckets like paint comes in. They drilled
a big hole in the bottom of the bucket. Covered it with landscape
fabric. Filled the bucket with potting soil. Hammered the lid on.
Turned the bucket upside down, cut an "X" in the fabric and planted the
tomato seedling. After the plant had grown to a particular size the
bucket was turned over to hang by the handle and the lid was removed for
ease of watering.

The method has been around for quite a while. I should think you could
find more detailed directions on the web if you wanted them.

marcella