Old 24-02-2005, 06:08 AM
Glen L. Madigan

Greetings from New Zealand.

I have had some success growing marigolds, and carnations from kitchen
window, using small trays. I started them about middle of January, and have
transplanted them from the trays to pots, and left them outside to grow even
further. Now I am having to either get even bigger pots to grow them, or
plant them out the back, in the garden amongst some begonias.

I put 5 marigold seedlings in one pot, and now they are root bound.

I find growing from seed is exciting.

"lotte potter" wrote in message
om...
Dear Doug and Kagera

Have to agree with Doug, perhaps this is where I go wrong, each year.
Not enough light.

Interesting thought about the gas mini leaks, perhaps the kitchen
window is not the best place.

Has anyone had any success with heated germination trays?

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
-Low air temp and not enough air movement will lead to what's called
"damping off" - fungus kills the seedlings.
-Indoors, only two ways to give them enough light. First, plant lights.
Lots
of them. Second, put them in just the right window and rotate them a
couple
of times a day. Forget that nonsense. Get lights. Think of how each type
of
seedling grows in its natural environment, and do your best to duplicate
that.
- Remote possibility: If you're growing seedlings in the basement, they
can
be adversely affected by natural gas leaks so miniscule that you may not
be
able to detect them. Or, not leaks, but the little bit that some furnaces
waste in the second it takes for the burners to ignite.

"Kagera" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have been having little success from starting with seeds. most of my
seeds do germinate and get their first 2 leaves. then within a week the
seedlings turn yellow and die. what am i doing wrong?

seeds that i have the most problems with a
Alpine Strawberry (Mignonette)
Strawberry Sticks (Chenopodium)
Tomato Jelly Bean Hybrid
Lettuce Grand Rapids Leaf