Old 17-02-2005, 10:07 PM
JimS.

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message

Now all my roses in big pots can finally get buried. And I get to go
buy new ones too! :-Þ

Oh yeah, like we need an excuse to buy new roses?
I just got another rose catalog and found a couple I
really like. Where to put them? I have a few in pots
and don't want more contained.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA

I finally bit the bullet and bought the J&P own-root Disneyland Rose that
I've been looking at for a couple of seasons. It's a wonderfully garish
tangerine color that some people love and others think hideously tacky (so
of course I love it!). Anyway, the J&P catalog has an offer of a "free
bareroot rose with any rose purchase from the catalog". So, of course I
took them up on it since I was already buying my Disneyland rose.

They came 2 days ago and I planted the Disneyland one today. I have to say
it was a very, very healthy looking specimen and had a VERY good root system
already established. I think it's going to kick butt. The other rose
turned out to be a "mystery rose". The tag says nothing about it but a code
number--though I could tell it also was an own-root rose. Pretty sturdy,
nice canes, good root system too. But what the heck IS it? I"m not going
to just "plant it and find out"!! Who's got that kind of real-estate to
gamble? So, I called to ask. Turns out it's a "mystery rose" from their
test panel. She has to dig a little to find out what it is (because I told
her I had no intention of planting it without knowing!) Just my luck,
it's PINK. I hate friggen pink roses. Oh well, what do you expect for
free, anyway? I guess I can use one of my recently-vacated large pots if I
decide not to plant it in the ground.

Yup, it's definitely spring in Seattle already, calendar-be-damned. 50
degrees and sunny today. Is it February?

JimS.
Seattle
Z8....mabye Z8.5 this year?!