Old 18-02-2005, 12:20 AM
Gail Futoran

"JimS." wrote in message
Is it bad to bury the bud union in a non-harsh-winter climate? Our
winters here in Seattle are pretty mild so I'm not concerned about the
freezing-- which is why most people bury beneath the bud union.

I have a couple of plants that just won't seem to sprout basel breaks. I
wondered if covering the bud union, and thus keeping it softer, might
encourage these plants to sprout more breaks from there?

In the past I've heard it mentioned it could cause the union to rot.
Anyone w/ experience in this? Would it work? thanks

JimS.
Seattle

In mild areas, burying the bud union encourages
reversion - growth from below the bud union.
The root stock is always more rigorous than
what's above (called scion, IIRC), so if you give
root stock a start, you'll lose your (desired) rose.

To encourage basel breaks you can:
-add some epsom salts in the spring with your
first feeding
-scrape older gray bark off the bud union
with a file or knife. (Don't overdo.)

I googled "basel breaks roses" and here's one
link I found:
http://www.kerncountyrosesociety.com/EpsomSalts.htm
There were others.

Gail