Old 18-02-2005, 01:15 AM
RichToyBox

Pixi,

Have you tested for ammonia. Ammonia will cause cloudiness, and in small
aquarium, newly set up, the filter has not had a chance to cycle, so it
would not be unreasonable to suspect high ammonia. The high ammonia will
stress the fish, allowing parasites, naturally present on the fish to
explode in numbers and get the better of the fish. The fish will act
strange when stressed.

Keep a close eye on the ammonia, and as the filter begins to kick in, then
you will undoubtedly have nitrites to worry about. If the ammonia is high,
then large frequent water changes or addition of Amquel is called for to
protect the fish until the filter can catch up. Once nitrites start to show
up, then large frequent water changes or the addition of about one teaspoon
of salt per gallon of water added on each of three successive days will
prevent nitrite absorbtion by the fish.

It typically takes a week or more for the ammonia levels to start declining
and several weeks for the nitrites to decline. The fish should not be fed,
or fed very lightly during the cycling of the filter to limit the levels of
ammonia and nitrites.

Patience.
--
RichToyBox

"pixi" wrote in message
erver.com...
When I bought these 3 new ones they looked perfectly clean. No ich, no
rot,
nothing else visible. They looked and acted like healthy fish.

So I set up the aquarium and waited a day before putting the fish in. The
water started to cloud almost immediately. After a couple days their fins
started to sag. Two days later they were peppered with tiny white spots
which I presume is ich. And their tails started to shred which I assume
is fin rot.

Then they started to lay around on the bottom most of the time.

Didn't think they would live until morning so I took spring water and
filled
a glass bowl, threw in a drop of methylenee blue or some such thing and
moved the fish.

This morning they are ever so much livlier and not on the bottom. The
water
is starting to cloud again and unless my husband sneaked them some food, I
cannot think of any reason for this.

I just asked my husband and he said he did not feed the fish. So why is
the
water getting cloudy when there are only the fish there.

My question is, where did the rot and the ich come from unless had it and
it
just was not visible.

I have removed all the water in the aquarium and am planning to rinse all
the stone and plants. Then hopefully I can let it stand over night and
put
the fish back into the the 10 gallon job.

Anyone any suggestions? I don't really think this bio filter I bought at
Walmarts is doing a very good job. I got one of my 30 year old filters
out
and can't believe that I can't remember how to set it up. I think it's
charcoal on the bottom with the cotton over that? Is this correct?

I didn't mean to write a book, but I feel for those poor fish and believe
me
the people in that fish store will me one more time before I snub them
forever.

Hope some one can help me of point me in the direction of some h elp.
Thanks a bunch.

Pixi