Old 18-02-2005, 02:12 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 18:45:37 -0700, "Kathy" wrote:

Pixi, sorry to hear you are having prolems. Way back in my 30's I had
several tanks going, but the kids left home, I got tired of cleaning tanks,
and got rid of all of them. Now I am trying to get a 50 gal. going again,
and I can't believe the trouble I am having. Finally after changing the
water twice and the fish twice it is finally settling down. I thnk my hubby
finally scared the tank into behaveing, he said if I had to drain that *&@#
thing again, and buy more fish, he was going to toss it in the alley! Maybe
when you get over 60 you have to resort to a few bad words and scare the
tank into submission. The tank is acting beautiful now. Ha Ha Ha. KathyAZ

Our biggest mistake, and I've done it too, is all these BIG water changes
when a filter is cycling. Better, imo/ime, is treat the ammonia with an
ammonia locking chemical (Amquel), and the nitrite with 0.1% salt. Water
change 20% every 5-7 days. Don't feed the fish at all till the cycle is
complete, and then lightly thereafter, as the filter will have to deal with
that extra ammonia when you feed them. Slowly, over weeks, increase the
food. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~