Old 24-02-2005, 01:59 PM
JB

Default Recommended dwarf pear trees

I have a small garden and would like to try growing a pear tree in a
pot on a patio area next to the house. As the patio gets used for
everything else that patios tend to be used for I would want a dwarf
variety that will not grow too wide.

Are pears going to be happy in pots and if so how large a container
should I allow, would I need two or more pear trees to pollinate
successfully and can anyone recommend any particular types of pears.

The patio is south of the house but on a north facing slope, so it is
not shaded much by the house but similarly does not get much sun until
full summer when it can be a sun trap. I am in Sussex (not the coast)
so conditions are mild and frost rarely a problem.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

JB